Here's how you can get started on your Sustainable Journey right at home.
Before all else, pat yourself on the back for the initiative. It all begins with the thought, but it is more than just a thought; it is a way of living. Home is the best place to start with; after all, Charity begins at home. Here are some tips and tricks which can help you to kickstart your sustainable journey.
SWITCH TO ECO-FRIENDLY COOKWARE:
Going green is rapidly becoming the norm, and the kitchen is a great place to start making environmentally friendly changes to your lifestyle. From the food you buy to the way it’s cooked and stored, you can save energy, reduce your carbon footprint and keep an eye on your budget in many different ways.
Eco-friendly cooking not only benefits the environment; it’s healthier for you and your family, too.
Finding ways to cook more efficiently -- like using the right appliance for the job -- can help you reduce monthly energy costs. Here are some eco-friendly Appliance alternatives.
Cast Iron Cookware
- Cast iron cookware is a very economical start since it will last for generations when properly cared for. They have all of the qualities that you are looking for in cookware: they are tough, durable, able to withstand heat for long periods, develops a non-stick coating and on top of all this, it supplies the sufficient amount of iron through the cooked food!
- Clay pots are another traditional alternative that has been in use for ages. These pots retain the oil and give moisture to food so you don't add unnecessary fat to make your food tastier. It is said that clay pots add many important nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium and sulfur to food, which are extremely beneficial to our body. They come in different types like earthenware and terracotta, both extremely cute and aesthetically pleasing, loaded with nutritional values.
Coconut Shell Cookware
- Coconut shell bowls: The coconut bowls are an awesome tool for an eco-sustainable lifestyle. Made entirely from coconut shells, they're 100% natural, bio-degradable, compostable and their production produce no waste.. quite a beautiful irony, right? They are sturdy, long-lasting, bump-resistant and easy to handle. Their small measurements will be your perfect diet partner and will help you in mindful eating and help preserve a beautiful body. Besides being a waste of natural resources, their combustion is responsible for the release of a significant amount of CO2 and methane into the atmosphere.
I can’t stress this enough, but
USE REUSABLE HOUSEHOLD ALTERNATIVES!
Single-use products, particularly plastic ones, tend to end up in landfills and the ocean, causing harm to wildlife and the environment. Prevent this by choosing to use reusable and eco-friendly alternatives instead. Here are few suggestions to begin with:
Copper Bottles, Mugs & Straws
- Copper is a great sustainable alternative for all the plastic that we have been using. Copper bottles, copper straws, copper mugs, etc are gaining much attraction among environment enthusiasts in the past decade. It is also proven that eating or drinking out of copper vessels healthy as it is great for the immune system, digestion and also reduces the risk of cancer. Water stored in a copper vessel is alkaline and drinking it cools the body down.
Bamboo Toothbrush, Barrels & Pots
- Bamboo: Using a bamboo toothbrush is a simple way to make your oral hygiene routine more environmentally friendly. More and more people are becoming aware of the problem of single-use plastics and using an eco toothbrush is one way you can reduce your contribution to the problem.
- Bamboo barrels are gaining attention recently and are used widely as an alternative to plastic pots and is now an inevitable part of the home decor ideas. You definitely need to check them out.
Coconut Shell Cutlery and Mugs
- Use coconut shell cutlery as a more green alternative to single-use plastics and throw away your boring stainless steel cutlery. Imagine the combo of coconut shell bowl, fork & spoons along with a finely aged wine in a coconut juice cup! Yummy!!! Just the thought of it makes it the ideal arrangement of satisfaction.